November is Nonprofit Awareness Month, and the NC Center for Nonprofits wants you to spread the word about all the good things nonprofits do for your state and community.
Did you know that nonprofits comprise more than 10% of all private sector employment in the country, accounting for 11.4 million employees according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics? In fact, if the nonprofit sector were a country, it would have the seventh largest economy in the world.
Here are 5 things your can do to boost awareness of and appreciation for nonprofits (courtesy of Unemployment Services Trust):
- Share. Support nonprofit awareness via social media. Try simply sharing stories and images about a nonprofit you work for or volunteer with using Twitter, Facebook, Flickr and other platforms.
- Volunteer. Get directly involved in the success of local nonprofits and share your experiences with others.
- Give. Find a charity you care about, make a donation and encourage others to give. And don’t forget, your donation is typically tax deductible! The Association of Fundraising Professionals provides these 5 P’s of Wise Giving.
- Learn. Find out 7 myths about nonprofits that you may not have known.
- Advocate. Find your elected officials online and make your cause known. Write them a letter, email or call them and take your messages and concerns to them.